Wednesday, January 22, 2014

support my journey to Korea this fall!


Hi folks!

I’m a fat, queer, nonbinary, chronically ill Korean adoptee artist, writer and burlesque/queerlesque performer. I am planning a trip back to my homeland this fall to do language study at university. I am currently studying Hangul my own in order to get the most out of my studies over there.

Although language will take up most of my time, I’m also planning to engage in the transformative work being done in Korea around adoption reform, unwed mother support and also LGBTQ issues. There may even be the potential for me to perform at a queer social even in Seoul! 

In early December, I got word that my birth mother had been located, after several years of really frustrating, heartbreaking searching. I have sent her a letter and am waiting to hear back. At this point, I have no idea if it will be possible for us to meet (or for me to meet my two half siblings) because of the circumstances surrounding my birth. However, even going to Korea knowing that I have family out there, this trip takes on extra significance.

I want to experience Korea intentionally, navigating my multiple layers of identity: adoptee, queer, orphan, fat, nonbinary, foreign and American. I will be recording, photographing and art-making my experiences and feelings to share through this blog and beyond.

The financial cost of this journey is over $10,000. I’ve been working really hard to earn and save for this trip, but in the end I’m going to need help to make it a reality. These costs include airfare, lodging, food, transportation, medical, school tuition (I am applying for partial scholarships), visa fees, insurance fees and more. If we meet our fundraising goal, I can afford to stay for 7 months and complete two semesters of language study.

Please check out the GoFundMe page here: http://www.gofundme.com/6cej1s

And signal boost to make this orphan’s dream come true!
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment